How to enrol

Each tertiary provider will have slightly different enrolment requirements. You can enter most courses if you achieve National Certificate of Educational Achievement (NCEA) Level 3 with University Entrance. The requirements may be:

  • An academic qualification (like NCEA Level 3 with University Entrance)
  • Credits in a particular subject (like at least 14 credits in Level 3 Chemistry)
  • An English language level (like IELTS 6.0)
  • A portfolio of work (such as a collection of images, designs etc.)
  • An interview, personal and/or referee statement.

It’s important to check the enrolment requirements for the course you’re interested in. This will help you decide what subjects to take at secondary school. Application and enrolment deadlines may apply, and some courses may have limited spaces available.

The requirements for the different providers in our regions are below.

Valid visa

All International students must hold a valid student visa for the duration of their studies. Full details of visa requirements, advice on rights to employment in Aotearoa New Zealand while studying and reporting requirements are on the New Zealand Immigration Services website.

enrolment requirements toi ohomai

Toi Ohomai

The international team at Toi Ohomai will help you with every step of your enrolment process. Note: ensure you tick ‘I’m an international citizen or resident’ when prompted.

enrolment requirements university of waikato

University of Waikato

The University of Waikato have a handy step-by-step guide to help you through the enrolment process.

enrolment requirements wintec


Wintec have minimum academic entry requirements for all international students. Their team can help you with your application.

Student resources

Visit our student resources page for helpful links relating to enrolment, education, career planning, employment, immigration, and more.